Monday, November 13, 2006

The power of communication

This weekend my other half made the two hour journey to see me in my university town. This trip was his first, so as you can imagine I was fairly excited. Our relationship is at present long-distant. Phone calls, emails, texts and letters are the ways we communicate, until we see one another, usually every other weekend. Today, the day after he left, I feel like I have had this massive injection put into me and all the feeling I have for him have been heightened. Strange, but I guess understandable. Speaking to someone, or emailing, are great ways of keeping in touch but sometimes these aren't enough. When you do see this person face-to-face you feel and experience so much more.

I was thinking about this, and how I feel after seeing him. With all of these new technologies that exist and are evolving even as I type this, I believe that, powerful as they are, they will never replace face-to-face contact. I think practitioners know this too. Just talking to someone and being in their presence is much more powerful than an email. For PR. with a practice that is fundamentally based on this power, this has huge implications. As practitioners we must recognise the power new technologies have, but not forget our old practices. I don't think these functions have to work alone, though. They can both be used to harness the power they both possess into a campaign or meeting.

When it comes to my other half though, I'll always prefer face-to-face!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely... good post. We need to realise that with all our current capabilities people like meeting people.

Skype, email, IM, blogs and all that stuff is pretty shallow.

On the otherhand if you know someone through social media, it saves a lot of the small talk and makes the meeting go with a swing from the first moment.