Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Short bus is ready to have you on board


I went to see the film 'Shortbus' on Sunday night at the Curzon Soho. I had seen previews for it beforehand and it looked good. The premise is that sexually-confused and frustrated New Yorkers become inter-related by this sex club called, you've guessed it, Shortbus. After watching it, me and my other half had a talk about it, as we do for most things. A few prominent issues cropped up: How the individuals in it seemed to be defined by their sexuality, and how this ruled their lives, and the issue of honesty. These so-called 'cool' New Yorkers were all deeply confused about sex and their feelings about it. They felt the need to go to a sex club to solve them. Their jobs were sex-related, their friends were other sexually confused individuals, and their lives were almost consumed by SEX.

Now, I'm not a prude, on the contrary, but come on... how many people's lives are consumed by sex. Me sat here writing this blog - not really that sexual (albeit the subject is sex), making dinner, going to the bathroom, texting someone. You get my point. It did though have that 'we're in this together' kind of feeling. Laughter erupted in the cinema frequently and I secretly had a little tear at one stage.

A cardboard set of New York provided light relief from the sexual escapades. Naked gay guys did too!

No comments: