With my dissertation draft due in on Monday, I find myself digressing occassionally and thinking about, god forbid, post uni! We have a few months left of a year that has literally flown by, and then what? We're on our own. No one telling us how to live our lives and what choices to make. Jobs, living arrangements, marital status; it's all up to us. A scary thought, but I find this liberating. For the first time in our life, bar those who carry on in education, we are on our own. What an amazing position to be in. Having to push ourselves to think, innovate, mke decisions.
I know of quite a few people who are already looking for jobs straight after uni. I know what they're going through. The coffee next to the offices. The hope and nervousness before the interview. The enthusiastic smile. The excitement straight after it when you phone your entire address book. It's a hard thing to do, but it's great to be in thick of it isn't it? Knowing we're interviewing to be the practitioners of the future is, at some times, incomprehensible. But it's true.
I can't wait to start my career as a young professional and I wish everyone else who is applying for jobs well (But not if I see you at an assessment day!).

1 comment:
I agree, it's fantastic isn't it. Not knowing where we're going to be next year, what we'll be doing and who we'll be working for. I think it's a good approach to have, otherwise we'd be scared stiff!
Post a Comment